Hello Servite Community, and Happy May Day!
Since my last message, our faculty and staff have continued to work hard to provide our students with instruction and support. I have been processing information and meeting with my executive leadership team in planning for the conclusion of this school year and the beginning of next. Things have been moving rapidly this past week and I now believe I have meaningful and impactful information to share with you.
Even under quarantine, our students continue to excel! This week, we were notified that our robotics team pulled off a winning, virtual performance, being awarded the Chairman's Award for the Idaho regional. This is the highest award offered by FIRST robotics, and it is the 5th time our team, which includes members from our sister schools, has been honored. A well-deserved congratulations to all involved! We also continue to receive accolades for our students on their accomplishments, including college commitments. Servite senior Sean Oliu was recently named a Semifinalist in the Vocal Music Category of the OC Register’s Artist of the Year competition. We also have several Servite students finding creative ways to help out during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and making a difference through service. While formal classroom instruction may be missing from their daily routine, they are learning, teaching and leading in ways they never could have imagined just two months ago.
Many of you are curious about our plans for a variety of events. Early next week Mr. Brennan will be sending out a detailed list that will include any changes in date, format, location and/or time. The following is a brief update on major events.
- AP Testing will be held virtually May 11th through the 22nd
- Our Formation Team will be hosting a Virtual Student Talent Show May 15th
- May 22nd will be the last day of the 4th quarter/second semester
- The CIF Dead Weeks for athletics will begin May 23rd and will run for 14 days ending on June 6th
- Senior awards will be broadcast May 27th at 7:00 pm
- Senior Business Days to pick up yearbooks, handout caps and gowns, collect computers and textbooks will be May 28th and 29th
- Underclassmen Business Days will be 9:00am – 12:00pm June 1st Juniors, June 2nd Sophomores, and June 3rd Freshmen 9:00am – 12:00pm
- Baccalaureate and Graduation will be held June 24th beginning at 6:00pm at Pearson Park Amphitheater or will be a virtual live stream held on the same date depending on the status of social distancing protocols at the time
- Summer School dates will be as follows: Advancement June 1st – July 17th, Remediation June 11th – July 16th, and Freshman Academy June 15th – July 16th
- Our first day of school for the 2020-2021 school year is scheduled for August 10th
We have received a few calls from parents expressing concerns over the status of the next school year and if we will once again be utilizing remote or distance learning. I am highly confident that we will return August 10th and will be learning in classrooms utilizing our standard instructional practices. If health guidelines restrict us from having full class sizes, we will have plans in place to run a modified class schedule that would accommodate no less than 50% of instruction being live in the classroom. Any independent or remote learning will be highly structured, comprehensive, and consistent in all classes.
We are currently in the process of reviewing and finalizing our budget for the 2020-2021 school year. An integral part of this process is determining the number of sections per subject we will offer, the number of teachers we will need to cover these sections, and consider the possible need to eliminate subjects or sections due to low interest and/or enrollment in those subjects. For this reason, it is of the utmost importance that you complete your enrollment and registration as soon as possible to assist us in the accuracy of our process. Some families have expressed concern regarding paying enrollment fees in May for a school year that has not yet been clearly defined regarding instructional structure. In response to these concerns and to encourage timely enrollment and registration, we have extended the school fee and full tuition payment deadline to June 15th and will also be extending our tuition refund policy to September 1st. Please read this Sunday’s Credo Communications for more details regarding changes in our payment and refund policies. As I stated previously, I am highly confident based on projections and trends with the COVID-19 virus that we will return to our standard learning practices.
In closing, I would like to invite you to participate in my State of Our School Zoom presentation on Thursday, May 14th at 7:00pm. An invitation will be sent out next week with more details.
We all look forward to a little normalcy in the coming weeks and months. Thank you for your continued support during these challenging times. Good things are coming. Please continue to keep the Servite community in your prayers, as we hold you in ours.